Thursday, December 6, 2012

I recently opened my home to another single mom and her homeschooled children.  It might not seem ideal, but they needed a home, and I needed someone to share mine.  They needed a place of calm to facilitate restoration and I needed company to facilitate mine.  So, we filled each other's needs and are going to try to make a go of 8 people in a three bedroom home.
The thing that blows me away is that with these children (five between the ages of 5 and 10 and then a 14 year old) things seem calmer than they did with just my two.  I love the team work of kids helping each other with homework, house work, and everything else.  I find myself continually impressed with the maturity of children educated in the home.  Without losing any of the intellectual stimulation (in fact, usually gaining more), they are unharmed by the dog eat dog world of public schools.
I lift my glass to all of the homeschoolers out there.   Cheers!  You're doing a great job.

No comments:

Post a Comment